Marco Silva has played down talk of James McCarthy leaving Everton this month.

The Ireland international is reportedly wanted by a host of sides in the Premier League and Championship this month, with the midfielder having just returned from long-term injury and desperate for minutes.

Tony Marshall/Getty Images Sport

It had been suggested that with McCarthy currently a way down Everton’s pecking order, the 28-year old would be allowed to leave on a short-term deal this month in order to get valuable game time under his belt.

However, speaking to the media ahead of Everton’s clash with Bournemouth on Sunday, Silva admitted that with the club’s modest squad size it was unlikely McCarthy would be allowed to leave. When asked about a potential loan deal, the Toffees coach said:

This is not something in my mind. We have 22 players in our squad, plus the goalkeepers.

On the topic of incomings, Silva refused to talk about reported target Michy Batshuayi, instead claiming that the club would likely sell before buying this month. Silva said:

Let’s see what we’ll do. We did very good things in the summer.

For us to do something in this market means we are improving our squad but it’s not easy. For us to do something it means that someone has left the club.